Trailing 12 Months with Properly placed Quarters?
ECB
2010-06-29 19:31:13 UTC
Excellent.
Thank you for your prompt repsonse and clear guidance. I will try these and
report back.

Version 6.7.10343

All columns are GL type

Thanks again,
ECB
some design issue with your column layout.
What version are you using? You can find this in Help => About. The
version will look similar to 6.7.9111.
Are any all of the columns GL type?
As for your second issue of getting the quarters in the right spot, I think
the easiest would be to use Effective Dates. These allow the report to
change the Row/Column/Tree based on the Report Date.
Your last suggestion of using three different column layouts should work to
get the quarters in the right spot. To set up a Catalog to automatically
pick the correct one, open said Catalog and to the right of the Column Layout
selection dropdown box you will see a small checkbox that says Effective
Dates. Check that and a new window will pop-up. In this window, select the
three column layouts you wish to use in order. Then in the second column
either type or choose the period codes of 1, 2, and 3 respectively. This
will basically be telling FRx to use the first column layout in period 1, the
second column layout in period 2, etc. Then you repeat the column layouts 3
more times to make a total of 12 total occurances of a column layout. The
periods should then be set 1 through 12 to match up each period in they year.
Let me know how it goes and if you have any further questions. You can
http://MSXGroup.com for information on our training schedules and consulting
services.
Thanks
--
Rob Iversen
MSX Group
www.msxgroup.com
As a new user of FRX I am familiarizing myself with the programamtic aspects.
I have taken on a Trailing 12 month Income Statement report and have it
working for the most part using Base year and Base period -11 -10 -9... with
the quarters calculations inserted at the proper intervals.
I have run into two roadblocks: When the report spans the prior year and
Roadblock 1: Is there something I am doing incorrectly that yields the
repetating Decembers in the current year?
Roadblock 2: I was partially successful (thanks to this and other community
discussions) to programmatically make the report derive its prior 12 months
based on the period selected on the report, including the quarters in the
order they belong however could use some guidance on options for making this
column format smart enough to put the quarter in the proper place regardless
of the period selected.
My approach was to create two full years' worth of months and quarters with
Base-1 year and hard coded periods 1,2,3 ... for the prior year, and Base and
hard coded periods for the current year.
I then used print controls for the prior year P>=B and for the current year
P<B. This was partially successful as apparently the 'P' also includes the
year. (When I coded my logic test in excel these ranges worked on Period for
period, however the fact that the year is along for the ride, blew up my
period print control theory)
I had envisioned using the three permutations below as the reusable formats
(assume they span two years' worth of columns per my approach not just the
one as shown below) to be selected at report generation time and that they
would stiil preserve the Q's in the right places, with the current period and
YTD columns at the end being always printed (no print controls applied to
these)
(Periods 1,4,7,10 ) M M M Q M M M Q M M M Q M M M Q Current Period YTD
(Periods 2,5,8,11 ) M M Q M M M Q M M M Q M M M Q M Current Period YTD
(Periods 3,6,9,11) M Q M M M Q M M M Q M M M Q M M Current Period YTD
Has anyone faced these roadblocks and found a way through them?
I appreciate any advice you may be able to offer.
Best regards,
ECB
rivers1
2010-06-29 19:31:25 UTC